Viewings by appointment:01752 676633

The history of Admiralty House

Grade II listed Admiralty House, originally occupied by the Governor of Plymouth and most recently the residence of the senior Port Admiral, has witnessed many historic events over the years and hosted luminaries such as King George V and Winston Churchill.

Property Search

to

to

1793

Designed by architect James Wyatt and originally named Government House the building was completed in c.1793 as the grand residence for the Governor.

1815

The flanking courtyards and pavilions were added in c.1815 along with the entrance porch on the north side.

1840

In the mid-1840s, the role of Governor was dissolved, and Government House was handed over to the Army for occupation by the General Officer commanding the Western District.

1935

In 1935 ownership changed from the Army to the Navy and the building was renamed Admiralty House and became the residence of the senior Port Admiral, the Naval Commander in Chief of Plymouth.

2006

Remains in MOD ownership until 2006 when the site was sold for regeneration.

2010

Mount Wise (Devon) Limited starts construction of first new homes in 2010 and to date over 300 house and apartments completed.

2015

Conversion and refurbishment of the existing listed courtyards and pavilions was completed in 2015.

2017

Planning consent to convert and refurbish Admiralty House into 12 individual apartments was granted in 2017.

Now

The conversion of Admiralty House will preserve the building long into the future.